Week One – Seeing the Need
If you have already read “Would You Do It For One?”, then you might ask, “Well I have already seen the need, why do I need this workbook?” The difference between reading the book and committing to this seven week course is the same as the contrast of what Jesus did when He met the woman at the well and what the disciples did that day. Jesus used for the opportunity to help just one person and he reached an entire village. The disciples went into the village without telling a single person about Jesus! Here is your challenge for week one. Meet one person who is a resident in a nursing home. If you already know someone (like a family member) and have visited on occasion, then dedicate this week to meeting someone new. After you have made your visit this week take some time and complete the homework project for this session
Get to know their world:
- Who else is visiting them and how often do they come?
- How many people are in the facility where they are living?
- Is their stay permanent or will they be going home?
- What is the name of the nurse for their unit? What are the names of the aides?
- What would they like you to do when you visit? (Read mail; pray; play cards; make a phone call?)
- Is there some small personal item they would like for you to bring in for them?
Get to know yourself
- What area did you have the biggest struggle with?
- What did you like the best?
- What ideas, plans or feelings changed as a result
- When will you visit next?
Week One – Homework
- Spend some time alone praying about what God is speaking to your heart
- Meet with your Pastor and ask what you could do to be involved in nursing home ministry
- Try to find at least one other person who would be willing to go with you
Get ready for the dance!