If you are have gotten this far, then you have broken through your biggest barrier. You have chosen to begin. Whenever we go to the beach I have discovered that the most difficult moment is when I dip my feet into the water. It always seems cold! But every time I push through that “cold feet” moment, I find that I not only can learn to adjust, but that I am soon enjoying swimming.
The next goal is to not only dive in, but to learn to swim! Get to know people, beginning with their names. The song says, “Jesus is the Sweetest Name I Know”, but to many people, the sweetest sound is the hearing their own name. When you greet someone by name it builds a bond and tells that other person that they are important to you.
For those who have decided to follow God’s call to begin entering in to Nursing Home Ministry here are some questions you might want to see if you can answer:
- Can you name at least one new resident? Do they know your name?
- Can you name one staff member? What is their job?
- What is happening in their life this week? (resident or staff)
- What kind of job did the resident work? Where did they live
- What can you pray about for them? (Have you asked?)
Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us? And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”