The difference between reading about nursing home ministry and committing to this short training course is the same as the difference between what Jesus did when He met the woman at the well and what the disciples did that day.
Jesus used the opportunity to help just one person and he reached an entire village. The disciples went into the village without telling a single person about Jesus! When I was able to travel to Nepal a few years ago we had some days when we only did what the disciples did, we walked through the towns and met people just like the woman at the well, but we didn’t say a word. We were separated by language and culture from knowing how to even buy a single fruit from the vendors. But on special days we went into small villages and by the help of translators and local pastors we were privileged to share the message of the love of Jesus What unforgettable moments those were!
Here is your challenge for week one. Meet one person who is a resident in a nursing home. If you already know someone (like a family member) and have visited on occasion, then dedicate this week to meeting someone new. After you have made your visit this week take some time and begin a journal on your efforts. Here are a few questions you might want to ask yourself.
- Who else is visiting them and how often do they come?
- How many people are in the facility where they are living?
- Is their stay permanent or will they be going home?
- What area did you have the biggest struggle with?
- What did you like the best?
- What ideas, plans or feelings changed as a result?
- When will you visit next?